Apply for visas and residency permits well before you travel. Contact the relevant embassy in Norway for information about the visa application process. You can also read about general country conditions for every country in the world at the US State Department website.

Norsk versjon - Visum

Topic page about travel | Studying abroad | Pages labelled with travel

Visa exemptions #

Norwegian citizens do not need visas for a number of countries, but your own situation will depend on your citizenship and where you are headed. The UD website (Norwegian only) lists countries where Norwegian citizens do not need a visa. However, if you must apply for a visa (regardless of where you are from and where you are headed) the Norwegian government recommends that you apply a minimum of 3 months before you are scheduled to leave. 

Visas in Europe #

If you are a resident of a country that is a member of the European Economic Area (the EEA, which includes Norway), you do not need a visa to travel to most countries in Europe, except for Turkey, Russia and Belarus.

Residence permit for Europe i Europa #

If you are a resident of an EEA country, you can live in another EEA country for up to 6 months without registering with that country's officials. However, take your passport, because it is the only legal proof of identity when you are outside of Norway (or your home country).

Visas for the USA #

If your visit to the United States will be shorter than 90 days, you can be admitted to the US without a visa.  However, you must have a passport that is machine-readable.

Visits to the United States also require that you register via ESTA ( Electronic System for Travel Authorization) when you travel without a visa. Note that it can take as long as 72 hours to get a response from ESTA, and if you are turned down, you then have to apply for a visa (!). 

There are certain circumstances that may require you to have a visa to be admitted to the USA (in Norwegian). You can also read more about the visa process on the American Embassy's checklist for visa applicants.

If your travel plans call for you to be in the United States for more than 90 days, you must apply for a visa. The American Embassy in Oslo strongly recommends that travellers read all of the visa information on the US Embassy website.

Register your travel details with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (UD) #

The Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (UD) advises all Norwegians as well as non-Norwegians with Norwegian residency to register their travel details with the minsitry when they travel abroad. This information makes it easier for the UD to contact you in case of a crisis. The registration process (in Norwegian) is available at the UD's website.

Work in other Nordic countries #

If you are a citizen of a Nordic country, you can travel freely in other Nordic countries. However, if you want to work in another Nordic country, you should investigate what, if any, restrictions or requirements apply. The website provides an overview of applicable regulations in the different Nordic countries, although most of that information has not been translated into English:






0 Vedlegg
8484 Visninger
Gjennomsnitt (0 Stemmer)