Plagiarism control at NTNU
This page explains plagiarism control at NTNU. The information applies to employees in administrative and academic positions.
Norwegian: Plagieringskontroll ved NTNU.
What does the plagiarism control do? #
A plagiarism control system compares texts and sets the level of similarity between a submitted text and texts in other sources, such as documents in NTNU's plagiarism control database and sources on the internet. The degree of similarity is usually indicated as a percentage (hit percentage) and direct references to text in the submitted document and text in documents from other sources.
The plagiarism check does not make any distinction between properly quoted text and plagiarism. The system is also unable to recognize images and formulas. The returned report must therefore be reviewed by a person with a good knowledge of the subject field to assess whether a submission is plagiarism or not.
Guidelines at NTNU #
Plagiarism can be cheating. For further information on handling suspicion of cheating, please refer to Cheating on exams. This tutorial gives also guidelines on how to handle suspicion of cheating at examinations at NTNU.
- The plagiarism control can be used for uploading document classified as open or internal.
- Document exempt from public, i.e. that contains sensitive personal information, shall not be uploaded to the plagiarism control.
- Protected documents, i.e. master thesis that contains business information, shall not be uploaded to the plagiarism control.
- Documents that the employee/student/NTNU does not have copyright to shall not be uploaded to the plagiarism control.
- Sharing of plagiarism reports shall only be done with employees that have an official need for access to the report, and that have a Feide account at NTNU. Sharing a plagiarism report with the student who submitted the answer that the report is based on is allowed.
Plagiarism Control at NTNU #
NTNU uses Ouriginal (www.Ouriginal.com) for plagiarism control. Ouriginal is used by NTNU and 21 other institutions in Norway. The system works as an independent system for submitting answers to assignments directly via email and web and is integrated into Inspera Assessment for checking exam questions. During autumn Ouriginal is planned to be integrated and available in Blackboard.
Ouriginal compares a submission with previously submitted texts and answers to assignments at NTNU and texts available via sources on the internet. The system performs an analysis and compiles a report indicating similarity in percentage (hit percentage) between the submitted text and texts in other sources. The report provides direct reference to sources and text in sources that have similarities.
Note: NTNU's database of texts is exclusive to NTNU. Texts are, as of today, not compared with texts in databases of other institutions.
How to use Ouriginal #
- Ouriginal is available as a stand-alone system for submitting documents via email or Ouriginal's web interface. Using the Ouriginal web-inbox
- Ouriginal is also used by Inspera for checking exam submissions. Using Ouriginal i Inspera
- Ouriginal is integrated and available in Blackboard for plagiarism control of students' submissions directly in Blackboard. Using Ouriginal in Blackboard
- The Ouriginal analysis report is common and applies to all ways of using Ouriginal. Plagiarism control - Understanding the Ouriginal analysis report
Log in when you have a user #
- Once you have created a user by following the instructions in the tutorial "Using the Ouriginal web-inbox" you can log in directly via this link: Ouriginal login
- If you want to create a bookmark in your browser, copy this link and save it as bookmark:https://secure.urkund.com/Shibboleth.sso/DS?entityID=https://idp.feide.no&target=https://secure.urkund.com/account/Shibboleth.aspx
- If you are already logged in via Feide, you will be directed to your account in Ouriginal. If you are not logged in, you will be directed to Feide login.
If you have questions about the use of Ouriginal, please contact Orakel Support Services: email@example.com, (735) 91500.