Personal protective equipment
Use personal protective equipment if the work you are doing can cause danger of work-related illness or injury.
Norsk versjon - Personlig verneutstyr
Requirement to use protective equipment #
You are required to use personal protective equipment if technical installations or operating processes do not provide satisfactory protection against risks of dangerous exposure. The unit must conduct a risk assessment in order to determine if there is a need to use personal protective equipment. Personal protective equipment and instructions for the use of personal equipment are produced by the unit. The protective equipment must be available where you work. Instructions for the use of protective equipment must be available on posters, safety data sheets and/or equipment cards. Contact whoever has the responsibility for the room for further information about this.
The manager is responsible for pointing out any failure by employees to use mandatory protective equipment. If the safety representative discovers that employees are failing to use mandatory protective equipment, the safety representative must alert the manager. The safety representative may stop work if there is a danger to life and health.
Each unit must have procedures for storage, maintenance, control and replacement of personal protective equipment if applicable. NTNU has a purchase agreement for protective safety equipment and clothing.
- Protective equipment and hazard signage - Chapter 3, page 23 in the Laboratory and Workshop Handbook
- Specifically about gloves - Chapter 12, page 127 in the Laboratory and Workshop Handbook
- Use of personal protective equipment (in Norwegian) - facts page - The Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority
NTNU guidelines and regulations #
- Use of personal protective equipment in the workplace (in Norwegian) - regulation - the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority
- Safety signs and signals in the workplace (in Norwegian) - regulation
Contact NTNU Occupational Health Services: #
- Occupational health service
- Margunn Losnegard Karlsen, Corporate Nurse
- Ann Kristin Sjaastad, Occupational hygienist
- HSE coordinators at your unit
- Your safety representative
Approved by Director of HSE - January 22nd 2013 - HMSR56E