Number of resits on the exam
På norsk: Antall forsøk på eksamen
Students at NTNU cannot sit for the exam in the same course more than three times. The Faculty itself may grant a fourth attempt. If you have special needs, the Faculty may grant a fifth and final attempt. The number of attempts applies to the person, not to the right of admission to study.
An attempt is counted when you
- have passed the examination
- have failed the examination, by receiving the grade F/(Fail)
- withdraw after the deadline for withdrawal has passed
- do not attend the examination
- do not submit an answer paper for an assessment or component of an assessment for a course
- have attended the examination, but choose to withdraw during the examination
- have his or her examination annulled because of cheating, an attempt to cheat, a false diploma or other academic misconduct; as stated in Uhl § 5-4(3) (in Norwegian)
It does not count as an exam attempt if you
Apply for a fourth and fifth attempt #
Use the general form and send the request to the Faculty you belong to. The form is only in Norwegian.
Transition regulation #
The former study regulations at NTNU had no limitations for resitting exams. For students enrolled at former NTNU before January 1st 2016, exam attempts will be counted from the autumn semester 2016. This also applies for students who have passed the course and want to improve their grade.
The former study regulations at HiST, HiG and HiALS had limitations for resitting exams. This means that exam attempts before January 1st 2016 will count for students that were enrolled at these institutions before 01.01.2016.