Digital oral exam - for employees
Work in progress, 30 April 2020.
This site includes information for lecturers on how to use Zoom to plan and conduct oral exams digitally. Due to the corona situation, all oral exams in spring 2020 will be conducted using the video tool Zoom.
The site is under development and will be continuously updated.
Nosk versjon - Digital muntlig eksamen - for ansatte
Preparation for the oral exam #
Familiarize yourself with the Digital Oral Exam Guidelines.
- Computer: We recommend that you use a computer with Windows or MacOS for oral exams. Zoom also works well on tablets and mobile phones, but can be used as a backup solution if problems occur with your computer.
Update your computer a day or two before the exam to reduce the risk of automatic updating during the exam itself.
- Audio equipment: It is recommended to use USB connected equipment such as headset, speaker with microphone or external USB camera with microphone for the best sound quality. Zoom also works with built-in microphones and speakers, but the sound may be poorer due to acoustics and noise from the computer and the environment.
- Camera: Built-in camera in your computer / monitor or external USB camera.
- Connection: We recommend that you use wired internet connection during the exam if possible. If you do not have the option of using wired internet connection, we recommend placing yourself as close to the wireless router as possible.
- Speed: Check your internet connection speed at https://nettfart.no/. You should have an upload speed of at least 1.5 Mbps (megabits per second). You may want to advise other users of your network that the exam is taking place so that they can customize the use of the web if necessary.
- Backup network: If you lose Internet connection at home, there are other alternative ways to get back online, such as using Sharing internet through a mobile device.
Install, log in and test Zoom #
- Download and install the Zoom client from Zoom - download and install
- Start the Zoom client, select Sign In with SSO , type ntnu as the company domain and click Continue, login with Feide.
- The Zoom client will remember your login details until you choose to log out (Sign Out).
- Zoom test meeting, select Join, select Open Zoom and follow the instructions to test the equipment.
Create Zoom Meeting for Oral Exam #
The Zoom meeting must be set up by the lecturer who will attend the exam - don't let others create Zoom meetings for you. Zoom does not allow multiple simultaneous / overlapping meetings created by the same person.
- Log in to Zoom (Sign In) with Feide, select Meetings under PERSONAL in the left column and select Schedule a New Meeting
- Fill in the fields as follows:
- Topic: Enter a title for the exam, for example
Oral Exam <Course Code> - <Week Day> <Date>
- Description (Optional): Optional - feel free to write course title and name of lecturer
- When: Select the date from the calendar symbol and the start time. The date has the US format (MM / DD / YYYY).
- Durations: Enter the duration from the start time, for example 6 hours.
- Time Zone: (GMT+2:00) Oslo
- Recurring meeting: Should not be selected
- Meeting ID: Select Generate Automatically
- Meeting Password: This should be selected. Meeting password will be mandatory fra May 30, 2020
- Video: Select on for Host and Participants
- Audio: Select Computer audio
- Meeting Options
- Enable join before host: This feature does not work when waiting room is activated.
- Mute participants upon entry: Should not be selected.
- Enable waiting room: This should be selected
- Only authenticated users can join: Should not be selected.
- Breakout Room pre-assign: Should not be selected.
- Record the meeting automatically on the local computer: Should not be selected.
- Alternative Hosts: Not in use. Rather set the sensor as Co-host after you start the Zoom meeting.
- Topic: Enter a title for the exam, for example
- Select Save
- Create one Zoom meeting per exam day and group for each course.
You can change all meeting settings afterwards by editing the meeting (Edit this Meeting) or in the Zoom client after starting the meeting (Start this Meeting).
During the exam #
- Surroundings: Use a room where you can be alone without interruptions. Sit so that you do not have strong light behind you (camera backlight). Make sure others do not use much of the network capacity.
- Equipment: Restart your computer and make sure to quit open programs that are not relevant to the exam. Start the Zoom client and make sure you are logged in with your Feide user.
- Start Zoom meeting In good time before the start time, click the Participants symbol to see that the participants show up in the waiting room. Let the sensor join the meeting and set him/her as co-host.
Relevant guides #
Contact & Support #
Phone: 73 59 15 00
Extended Support for the Spring of 2020 #
Since all oral exams will be conducted digitally for the first time, a dedicated IT support phone only for oral exams will be created. This is intended specifically for help on the day of the examination and will only be manned during normal working hours 08:00 - 15:00 during the ordinary examination period (May 4 - June 6).
Phone: 73 59 17 00