Tools for academic writing
This page provides information from the NTNU University Library about different tools you can use in academic writing.
Norsk versjon: Verktøy for oppgaveskriving
This is a list of tools that could prove useful in academic writing: not only in defining your research topics and the writing process itself, but also in information gathering and statistics.
Mindmap/Brainstorming Software #
During the phase of defining your research topic, it could be very helpful to use a tool that helps you organize your thoughts, ideas and “loose threads”.
- MindManager (Mindjet) is a software program for collecting, organizing and visualizing information. NTNU offers the program to all of its students and staff – also to install on their own machines. The program is available on Windows and Mac.
- See also other tools for brainstorming.
Word Processing Software #
NTNU provides Office 365 to all its students. You get access to word processing software such as Word, storage and interaction services on the web, desktops, tablets and mobile phones.
Survey Tools #
- Questback and SelectSurvey are tools that NTNU offers its students and staff (In Norwegian)
- Limesurvey and Machform are tools that the Faculty of Medicine and Health Science offers (In Norwegian)
A couple of free tools:
Guidelines for collecting data – These are important to be aware of while making online surveys. (NB! Only in Norwegian)
Statistical software #
Statistical software lets you produce statistical analyses from the data you have gathered. NTNU offers other tools:
- SPSS is a comprehensive software package for statistical analysis and data management.
- Minitab and Minitab Express is an interactive statistics program with a user-friendly interface. Minitab Express is a program for teaching introductory statistics.
- NVivo is a program for qualitative data analysis. It’s designed to help you organize, analyse and find insights in unstructured or qualitative data like interviews, open-ended survey responses, articles, social media and web content.
- R is both a language and an environment for statistical computing and graphics. It’s free of charge.
Reference Management Tools #
Using a reference tool makes it easier for you to have a clear overview of the references you use in your studies, research and publishing. Reference tools also help you to make and formulate citations and reference lists in your manuscripts.