The student ombuds
At this page you will find information about the student ombuds at NTNU. The purpose of the student ombuds is to contribute increased legal certainty for the students.
Name: Lennart Soligard
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Note: Email is basically unencrypted, which means it may be possible for others to read the content. It is therefore advisable that requests containing sensitive information should preferably not be sent to the student ombuds by email, but by phone or by personal meeting by appointment.)
Phone: +47 48 50 50 05
Opening hours Trondheim
- Drop-in for students every Wednesday and Thursday from 12:00 - 14:00; Realfagbygget D1-155. Due to the situation regarding the coronavirus, the drop-in hours will be closed until further notice.
- If you need to discuss your matter with me in a meeting outside the drop-in hours, or to arrange a meeting with me at "your" campus, please give me a call or send me a mail.
The spread of the coronavirus - Information from NTNU
The spread of the coronavirus has created a situation that we must all take seriously. Health and safety are put first. I`m currently working from home, but i`m available on phone or Zoom/Teams. If its necessery a student can ask for a meeting at my office at Realfagsbygget Gløshugen.
NTNU are continuously posting updated information on www.ntnu.edu/corona and I urge you to follow this site.
Stands on campus
The student ombuds has a stand once a month on several campuses at NTNU. During the pandemic no stands will be arranged.
- Dragvoll: The student ombuds usually have a stand by the stairs to the canteen between 11:30 - 13:30. Date will be published soon
- Gløshaugen: The student ombuds usually have a standby the canteen in "Realfagsbygget" between 11:30 - 13:30. Date will be published soon
- Ålesund: monday 4th november - The student ombuds usually have a standby the canteen in the main building (by the entrance open area) between 11:30 til 13:30
- Gjøvik: Wedensday 6th november - The student ombuds usually have a standin the "open area" near the entrance in the "main building"/Gneis-building between 11:30 og 13:30
- The student ombuds at NTNU shall be an independent assistant to the students. The student ombuds activities shall mainly include matters relating to the study situation where a student experiences a formal or procedural “gray zone” and/or believes that an error or injustice has been committed to him/her. Study situation means the student's relationship with NTNU.
- The student ombuds will advise students on what they can and should do to safeguard their interests. The student ombuds will help to resolve matters closest to where they occur, that is at the lowest possible level in the organization.
- The student ombuds will ensure that the cases receive sound and correct treatment and focus on the students' rights and equal treatment.
- The student ombuds will act as a supplement to other routines and systems for supervision and follow-up and does not dissolve NTNU information and guidance duties.
- The student ombuds may carry out investigations on how the case has been processed.
- The student ombuds does not have the authority to settle matters nor is it the appeal body for matters that have been dealt with and settled by other entities or decision-making bodies at NTNU.
- The student ombuds can decide if he/she wants to assist a student in one case or not. The student ombudsman shall always give a reason when the ombudsman refuses to assist in a matter. The rejection cannot be appealed.
- The student ombuds may take matters on his own initiative to ensure legal certainty for the students.
- Matters regarding for example Lånekassen or the student welfare organization (Studentersamskipnaden) falls outside the student ombudsman's duties. The student ombuds also does not handle professional questions that’s related to any subjects at NTNU. The student ombuds will not act as a lawyer for the student or take part/pick sides in a certain case or in a conflict between two parties.
Information and training
The student ombuds will actively inform about his/her function to NTNU students and offer training to student elected representatives about the students' rights and duties.
Through annual reports the student ombuds shall report on his/her activities to the NTNUs principal.The annual report shall be submitted to LMU and NTNU's Board as an orientation case. The student ombuds shall inform the NTNUs principal on any serious issues or matters of principal importance.
Annual reports can be found on the open page at ntnu.no/studentombud (Norwegian only)
Confidentiality and access
- The student ombuds has duty of secrecy pursuant to section §13 of the Public Administration Act concerning matters that are known to him/her through his/her work.
- The student ombuds has only access to confidential information to the extent that the student concerned has given the consent.
- Questions regarding access to cases at the student ombuds follow the rules in public law (Act 19 May 2006 on access to documents in public works).
Notification of critical matters
Students may notify the student ombuds of critical circumstances (e.g. offense, bullying, harassment, security violations) affecting the student's situation.
Students can notify anonymously through the student ombuds. If the student wants confidentiality regarding who has notified, the student ombuds must note that it may be limited to what extent the case can be pursued.
If students experience sexual harassment/unwanted sexual attention at their place of study, the student can contact the student ombuds for a casual and non-binding conversation. Students can also contact the student ombuds anonymously if wanted. The student ombuds will treat all inquiries confidentially and will not proceed with the case unless the student wants to.
- University and Higher Education Act (Norwegian only)
- Public Administration Act
- Freedom of Information Act
- Study Regulations
- Regulations for admission to studies (Norwegian only)
- Regulations on suitability assessment (Norwegian only)
Survey: If you have been in contact with the student ombuds, please take 1 minute of your time to answer the student ombuds survey 2020. The answers you provide are anonymous and will only be used to improve the student ombuds services and for annual reporting.