Skype for Business - Contacts and instant messaging
On this page, you learn to get in touch with other people through Skype for Business, and how to use contacts and groups. You also learn to communicate with your instant messaging contacts.
Norsk versjon - Skype for Business - kontakter og meldinger
Find someone #
Connect with people in your organization, or with friends who have a Skype account.
- Type a name in the Search box. As soon as you do, the tabs below the Search field change from this:
- If the person is in your organization, stay on the MY CONTACTS tab. If not, click on the SKYPE DIRECTORY tab. It will narrow your search if you know their full name or Skype user name.
Add a contact #
Once you find a person, add them to your Contacts list for quick access.
- Right-click the name in the search results.
- Click Add to Contact List.
- Pick a group to add your new contact to.
View a contact card #
- Tap a contact picture.
- Tap the Contact Card button to open Contact Card.
Create a group #
Set up a group for each team you work with so you can quickly see who's available, or communicate with the entire team at once.
- Click the Add a Contact button.
- Select Create a New Group.
- Begin typing your new group name.
Send an instant message #
Use instant messaging (IM) to touch base with your contacts right away.
- In your Contacts list, point to the contact you want to IM. If you want to IM with more than one contact, hold down the Ctrl key and click each contact name.
- Click the IM button.
- Type your message and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
Need to add someone to the IM? From the main Skype for Business window, drag a contact pic onto the IM window.
Add audio, video and share files in an IM conversation #
Switch between conversations #
If you have several conversations of meetings going on at the same time, Skype for Business displays them all in one place, so you can toggle between them.
Click a tab on the left to view an IM conversation.
Find a previous IM conversation #
If you use Outlook and Exchange, Skype for Business automatically saves your IM conversation history. To view or continue a previous IM conversation or see an IM request you missed:
- Click the Conversations tab.
- Click the All or Missed tab. If you don't see the conversation you're looking for, click View More in Outlook at the bottom of the list.
- Double-click the conversation that you want to open.
Orakel Support Services can help if you have questions or if you encounter difficulties.