Schools for your children during your sabbatical year

If you take your sabbatical abroad, your host institution should be able to help you find schools or childcare for your children. Norsk versjon - Barnehage og skole ved utenlandsopphold.

Looking for something else? Topic page about Sabbatical | Pages labeled with kindergarten.

You need to check as soon as possible to see if your child's Norwegian kindergarten/preschool spot can be held for you during your absence. It is difficult for a kindergarten or preschool spot to be left empty for months while you are overseas. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that you will be able to keep your kindergarten or preschool spot while you are gone.

Finding schools for your children abroad #

In addition to asking your host institution for help, you can also try the following resources:

Remember to bring documentation #

Bring documentation that helps describe your child's schooling in Norway, such as reading lists or lesson plans. Some foreign schools require a health certificate and proof of vaccination.

Tuition #

You should plan on having to pay tutition for schooling in English-speaking countries and for English-language schooling in countries where English is not the native language. You should clarify before you go whether or not NTNU will cover tuition costs for your child. Note that tuition payments and child care expenses are not always tax deductable.

Homeschooling #

It is also possible to apply to allow your child to be homeschooled if one parent is at home during your stay abroad. In this case, you must be able to show that the homeschooling you offer is as good as what the child would receive in a formal school setting. If you choose to take this approach, you should contact the Oppvekst Office in your municipality well before your departure date.

Leave of absence from Norwegian school #

Leave of absence #

Contact your child's school before you travel to find out what consequences, if any, your stay abroad will have for your child's further schooling in Norway. Typically, a child cannot be given more than a 14-day leave of absence from school. The usual practice is to withdraw your child from school during the time that you are abroad and enrol them again when you return from your sabbatical.

Leave of absence from private school #

If you have children in a private school, you can apply for an extended leave of absence from the principal, but be aware that this can be denied, and/or your child could lose his or her spot at the school. If this happens you will have to apply again for a spot at the school well before you return to Norway.

0 Vedlegg
6174 Visninger
Gjennomsnitt (0 Stemmer)