Practical training and form of teaching - exemptions from national curriculum
Norwegian version: Praksis - unntak fra rammeplan
Table of Contents [-]
- Practical training in teacher education
- Practical training in medicine, health and social studies
- Possibility of new period of practical training
- Practical training - exemptions from national curriculum due to coronavirus
- What the decision implies
- The measures must be necessary and justifiable
- Read the whole decision
Practical training in teacher education #
Students in teacher education who had already started their period of practical training before the desicion to close the schools was issued on 12 March, are to complete their practical training to the extent possible under the current circumstances at their institution. Practical training that were due to start on 16 March are cancelled.
Practical training in medicine, health and social studies #
Further clarification and updates related to study progression, facilitated practical training, mobilization and exams, are provided by the individual study program. Follow the Blackboard channel for each study program. You may contact email@example.com.
Possibility of new period of practical training #
The common rules for illness, valid absence, and repetition of practical training apply to students who, due to the coronavirus, are unable to complete their practical training. A quarantine is considered the same as “illness" in this context, so that the rules that apply for sickness also apply to students who are quarantined.
If you are unable to attend your practical training, or must cancel it due to coronavirus, you will be given the opportunity for a new practical training. Your department determines when a new practical training can be implemented. Practical training that must be interrupted due to coronavirus will not count as an attempt.
If the spread of the coronavirus causes parts of the public sector to shut down business, it may not be possible to offer practical training to all students during the spring of 2020. If such a situation arises, you will receive further information from your department about the schemes that applies.
Practical training - exemptions from national curriculum due to coronavirus #
The faculties are in the period 24 March–1 September 2020 authorized to grant exemptions from the requirements for completing compulsory practical training and for changing the form of teaching in programmes of study regulated by national curricula. This is in order to prevent students from being delayed in their studies due to the coronavirus and ensure that the students hold the necessary professional qualifications.
What the decision implies #
- As far as it is justifiable and necessary in order to help students avoid delays in completing study programmes that they have started, faculties may grant exemptions from regulations on national curricula and national guidelines with legal authority in Section 3-2 second subsection of the Act relating to Universities and University Colleges.
- The exemptions granted by the faculties mainly apply to the implementation of compulsory practical training, but may also include changes in the form of teaching.
- The exemptions are intended to help ensure that, as far as it is justifiable and necessary, students are not delayed in their studies due to the virus outbreak.
- In evaluating which measures are justifiable and necessary, the faculty must emphasize the student’s ability to achieve the required learning outcome specified for the study programme and ensure that the student has the required professional qualifications on completion of the programme.
The measures must be necessary and justifiable #
The faculty can only establish measures or exemptions that are justifiable or necessary. This means that the faculties will, among other things, emphasize that the students achieve the stipulated learning outcomes and hold the necessary professional qualifications upon completion of their education. The main goal is that the measures implemented can be approved as ordinary practical training in the education programs where this is relevant.
Read the whole decision #
Rector’s decision of 24 March 2020 on temporary provisions for the implementation of programmes of study regulated by national curricula and the like in connection with the outbreak of Covid-19 at NTNU (pdf) (in Norwegian).