Managing challenging counselling situations
Recommended procedures for challenging and threatening situations during academic supervision.
Norsk versjon - Håndtere utfordrende veiledningssituasjoner
Violence and threats of violence #
- If you are alone, move away from the situation
- Always notify your closest leader or deputy
- Consider closing down rooms to protect others
- If the threats are not directed at you, you must notify the subject(s) of the threats.
- Always alert the police in case of violence or serious threats.
Police emergency line: 112
In case of less serious incidents or disruptive behaviour, you are advised to leave the office if the student/employee does not. Contact your leader or deputy to discuss further actions.
Threats by e-mail/phone #
- E-mail: Do not respond. Contact your leader or deputy to discuss further actions
- Phone: Act calmly, and contact your leader or deputy to discuss further actions
- If the threats are not directed at you, you must notify the subject(s) of the threats
Serious illness or suicide hazard #
If a student/employee threatens to take his/her own life, contact:
- The regular GP, if known
The Ambulant Emergency Team (AAT) at St. Olavs Hospital: 73 86 54 41
- Casualty ward: 116 117
- Foreign student without an ID number? Contact the Gløshaugen medical centre:
73 59 32 80
The student/employee must not leave the premises before an agreement is made with the relevant healthcare personnel. If the student/employee must be escorted to see a physician, do not drive alone. Bring a colleague or take a taxi together with the student/employee. The student/employee must be personally delivered to the physician.
If you suspect other serious diseases or accidents, please contact:
- Medical emergency / ambulance: 113
Student help services #
The student can contact the following services:
What should you do after a difficult incident?
- You should always talk to your closest leader after experiencing a difficult incident. The leader is responsible for following up on employees.
- Make sure that the incident is registered in the nonconformity system.
- Additionally, you can contact the HSE Division for an in-depth conversation.
Download a folder with the contents on this page (Norw. only). The folder has markings to make sure it can easily be manufactured by a printing office.
- You unit's HSE coordinator
- HSE Division – leaders can contact the HSE Division for assistance if needed.
See also #
- Psychosocial care – NTNUs emergency preparedness plan | The complete emergency preparedness plan (in Norwegian)
- Health services for students – subject page on Innsida
- SiT health services (Trondheim Student Welfare Organization)
- HSE for employees – subject page on Innsida