Language preparation for studying abroad
Norsk versjon: Språkforberedelser til utenlandsstudier
When preparing for studies abroad, we recommend that you also prepare yourself thoroughly for the language of instruction. The Department of Language and Literature has several introductory courses. In addition it is recommended that you continue to study the language after arrival.
English proficiency tests #
Some institutions require documentation of your English proficiency. You should take the required tests well in advance of your departure.
- Test of English as a foreign language (TOEFL)
- Please see the ETS pages for where the TOEFL test is offered.
- International English language testing system (IELTS)
- In Norway, these tests are administered by Folkeuniversitetet.
- If no more places are available, it is possible to be put on a waiting list. Please contact them at 55 55 36 30.
Students planning on applying for a degree program in the USA may also need to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) (Graduate degree program) or the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) (Undergraduate degree program). Very few universities require the GRE for students studying abroad. In 2015-16 the SAT was given in Oslo and Stavanger.
Spanish as the language of instruction #
If you plan to study in South America, you will need to be proficient in Spanish. Most institutions will require proof of your proficiency. For studies in Brasil, Portuguese proficiency is required.