Insurance and social security benefits while abroad

Contact NAV International for information about Norway's National Insurance arrangements well before you travel abroad. In the peak season, the administrative procedures can take 3-6 months.Norsk versjon - Forsikring og trygd i utlandet.

Looking for something else? Topic page about Sabbatical | Pages labeled with sabbatical.

Social security abroad #

When you work abroad, your membership of the National Insurance Scheme may end. Find out if your membership is valid for the country you are visiting before you leave. See NAV's database of social security agreements (in Norwegian) and who is covered by the social security agreements.

Apply in good time before you leave #

Apply for membership of the National Insurance Scheme during your stay abroad well before you leave. Note that processing of this application takes 4-12 weeks. The application is submitted via your faculty to NAV International. Remember that you must apply for the whole family.

What the National Insurance Scheme covers #

Social security agreements with other countries #

If you work in an EEA country or Switzerland, you should be covered by the social security arrangements in the country in question. However, please note that there are exceptions (pdf).

European Health Insurance Card #

To be entitled to necessary medical care in the European Economic Area (EEA) and in Switzerland, you must obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Order the card in good time before your departure, because it may take up to 10 days before it arrives in the post.

Nordic social security agreements #

Note that you do not need this card when you are staying in the Nordic countries, because you are already entitled to health services in these countries. For more information about social security rules in the Nordic countries, go to the Nordic social insurance portal.

Agreements with countries outside the EEA #

Norway has social security agreements with several countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA). See NAV's database of social security agreements. Fill in the documents and submit them via your faculty to NAV International.

Family members and social security #

Family members are automatically members of the National Insurance Scheme for stays abroad lasting less than 12 months. However, they may not work while they are living in the country where you have your sabbatical.

For longer stays, family members who are dependents may be covered by the National Insurance Scheme. The family member must have been a member of the National Insurance Scheme for 3 of the last 5 calendar years before the application is submitted.

Checklist for spouse/partner #

Are you covered by the National Insurance Scheme when you are with your spouse/partner, or do you have to apply yourself? See NAV's checklist (in Norwegian) if you plan to accompany a researcher during a period of study abroad.

Personal insurance during a sabbatical #

It may be a good idea to buy personal travel insurance to supplement the coverage provided by the National Insurance Scheme or equivalent rights in other countries.

Personal insurance may cover areas such as:

  • Transport back home
  • Health problems
  • Theft
  • Accidents

As a minimum, you should buy insurance to cover transport home in case of illness or death. Also note that travel insurance policies may have a limited period of coverage. Make sure that you are covered for the entire sabbatical period.

Forms #

Contact information #

NAV International

0 Vedlegg
10321 Visninger
Gjennomsnitt (0 Stemmer)