Installing printers in Mac OS X
How to print out from your own Mac to a NTNU-printer.
Norwegian version - Installere NTNU-skriver i Mac OSX
Requirements for printing at NTNU #
- You will need to be connected to the NTNU network in order to print, either by VPN, Eduroam or by using the wired network on campus.
- You need to have a student card with a registered MiFare ID. If you get an error stating Login Failed or something similar, contact Orakel Support Services.
- You need to have remaining funds in your printing quota.
- Your device needs to have OS X-version Lion (MacOS 10.7) or higher installed. Otherwise, Everyoneprint may be used.
Installing NTNU printers in Mac OSX #
Easy Method #
Download the application "Utskrift NTNU for Mac" from software.ntnu.no and follow the installation instructions. This program installs the printer and the correct driver automatically.
NB: Please note that this is a betaversion, and some users might experience some trouble with the application. If you experience trouble, please send an email to email@example.com, and try installing the printer with the alternative method described below.
Alternative Method #
This method is the easiest way to install a new printer. We recommend trying this one first.
- Open System Preferences (The cog symbol).
- Choose Printers & Scanners.
- In the printer list, click the plus sign in the bottom left corner.
- To add followprint we need access to advanced alternatives. Right-click the toolbar and choose 'Customize Toolbar...'
- Pull the 'Advanced'-icon from the list to the toolbar. Click 'Done' and then select the 'Advanced' column.
- Fill out the settings as shown below, replacing 'ntnuprint-ricoh' with your preferred print queue.
There are two print queues at NTNU, these are:
Note that documents will be sent to all printers in both queues, select the printer you use most often.
- Remember to check for 'Duplex' to get two-sided printing. This can be changed afterwards.
- The first time you print you will be asked for username and password. It is then important that you input in the following format:
username: win-ntnu-no\username (Note the backslash)
Check to remember the password to avoid having to input your information every time you print.
- If one inputs the wrong username or password or forgets prepending win-ntnu-no\ in front of the username, the job will get stuck with authentication error, as shown in the picture below. One must then resend the job and input the correct information.
- If you wish to use stapling or similar features, you must install the specific driver, see Additional features.
Known problems #
If you have tried installing the printers but are still experiencing problems, try deleting saved passwords from you keychain.
- Go to Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access
- Search for the printer name in the list ("ntnuprint-ricoh").
- Delete related keys.
Additional features (colors, 2-sided print, stapling etc.) do not work.
- This might occur if one sends a job to the Ricoh queue and prints from a Xerox printer or the inverse. Make sure that you send the job to the queue that corresponds with the brand of printer you wish to print from.
Additional feature - Add specific driver #
Several of NTNU's printers offer additional features such as stapling and folding. These features are not availeble on all printeres, but for printers having the necessary finisher, these features can be used when printing from Mac.
To use these features, your computer must have the correct driver installed.
If you installed the printer using the application "Utskrift NTNU for Mac", the correct driver is already installed.
If you installed the printer manually, please contact Orakel Support Services to get help with installing the correct driver.
Related articles #
- Printing and copying
- Computer labs for everyone
- Installing printers in Windows
- Installing printers in Linux
- Student allowance for printing
Orakel Support Services can help if you have questions or if you encounter difficulties.