Installing printers in Linux
How to print using NTNU-printers with Ubuntu Linux
Norwegian version - Installere NTNU-skriver i Linux
Available printers #
Use MazeMap and search for "Åpen tilgjengelig skriver" when focused on your local campus or building, and it will show all printers that are available for everyone (i.e. not behind locked doors).
Printing from Ubuntu with Unity #
Necessary dependencies #
Before you add the printer, you must install the package smbclient, by running the command "sudo apt install smbclient" in the terminal.
For some distributions, it is also necessary to install the packages "cifs-utils" and "python3-smbc".
Please note that other distributions may require other packages than those named here.
Open the "Printers - Localhost" window #
Ubuntu 14 & 16: #
Click the gear in upper right corner, Select "System setings..." and then "Printers".
Ubuntu 17 & 18: #
Click the tooltray in the upper right corner and select the tool icon. Select "Devices" and "Printers". Click the "Additional Printer Settings..." button.
Add the printer #
Click "+ Add"
Select "Network printer"
Select "Windows Printer via SAMBA"
Fill inn the printer path in the "smb://" field according to printer type in use:
Enter your NTNU username and password, and click "Forward". NB! Ubuntu18 has swapped the order of the fields. The "Verify..." button does not work.
Select "Generic" and click "Forward"
Select "Postscript" and keep the suggested driver. Click "Forward".
The generic postscript driver will handle plain printing, including duplex. For the more advanced options like hole punch, stapling etc you may try the driver that is closest to the actual modell you normally use. You may switch driver for the printer later.
Name your printer connection. The above is just a suggestion. Klick "Apply".
Ubuntu 17/18 notes #
- You may have to accept a driver download.
- If it complains about "client-error-not possible" do the following: Click the "Activities" menu in upper left corner. Type "terminal" and click the "Terminal" application. Type "sudo apt-get -y install smbclient" at the prompt, and supply your password if asked. Retry the failed step above.
Click "Cancel" and save the rain forest.
Repeat if you use both Xerox and Richo printers.
- Check that you have enough money in your print quota if you are a student.
- Check that you're connected to the NTNU network, either through cable, wireless or VPN.
- If you cannot see the "Windows Printer via SAMBA" option or get "client-error-not possible", try to install smbclient with the command "sudo apt-get -y install smbclient".
- If Richo printers emit "configurationerror" it may stem from US-Letter paper format set in the printer options or the printed document. Change to A4.
- Printing at NTNU
- Computer labs for everyone
- Printers for students
- Print quota for students
- Installing NTNU-printers in windows
- Installing NTNU printers in MacOS X
Orakeltjenesten can help you if you encounter problems