Fume cupboards in laboratories and workshops
The page contains a collection of guidelines about the use of fume cupboards in laboratories and workshops at NTNU.
Norsk versjon - Avtrekksskap i verksted og laboratorier
Fume cupboards are one of the most important protective devices in many laboratories. Fume cupboards prevent users in breathing dangerous and irritating vapours and dusts. They should also prevent the formation of explosive gas mixes.
These guidelines only apply to fume cupboards, not to LAF and safety benches. See the Laboratory and workshop handbook.
Guidelines for the use of fume cupboards at NTNU #
Familiarise yourself with the guidelines for the use of fume cupboards at NTNU:
- Safety requirements for fume cupboards
- Working with fume cupboards
- Actions and reporting in the case of problems with fume cupboards
- Checking fume cupboards
- Responsibility and tasks related to fume cupboards
- Purchasing or removing fume cupboards
Standards and guidance on the use of fume cupboards #
NS-EN 14175 - Fume cupboards (Norwegian and European standards for fume cupboards) Find information of the standards for fume cupbaords (requires login to the NTNU network).
- Guidance on the use of fume cupboards (from the Danish Industrial Work Environment Council, in Danish)
- Laboratories - safety and work environment (from the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority, in Norwegian)
- Advice for construction, rehabilitation and purchase of equipment
NTNU regulations #
- Laboratory and workshop handbook
- Safety data sheets.
- Chemicals and gases
- Risk assessments
- Biological agents
- Working with biological agents
- Designing animal testing facilities
Legislation (in Norwegian) #
- Regulation on organisation, leadership and participation
- The workplace regulation
- Regulation on work performance
- Chapter 3 Working with chemicals that might pose a risk to the employee’s health and safety
- Chapter 6 Working in an environment that might lead to exposure to biological agents
- Chapter 10 Protective equipment use requirements
- Chapter 11 Facilitating the use of protective equipment
- Chapter 12 Checking and maintaining safety equipment and construction equipment
Contact information #
HSE division #
Campus Services Division, NTNU #
- Technical emergency preparedness: 918 97 335
- Technical services and aid: Trond Haugen, tel. 918 97 223
- Documentation: Per Gjengår, tel. 918 97 218
Operational service, St. Olav’s Hospital #
Warm customer service about errors at tel. 06750.
For emergency help outside of regular work hours, contact the technical guard at tel. 995 84 151.
Approved by the head of HSE - February 21 2014 - HMSR62E - ePhorte 2014/3970