Filling out the master agreement
Information regarding filling out the masteragreement in SharePoint, and filling out the "standard agreement concerning work on a master's thesis done in cooperation with an organization".
The master agreement is an agreement between the student, the supervisor and the department that regulates the counselling, i.e. the nature, scope, character and responsibilities. The master study and the work on the master’s thesis itself is regulated by the Universitets- og høgskoleloven, NTNU’s academic regulations and the current study plan for the study program.
The master agreement is available as an online form in SharePoint for everyone with NTNU access. Here you can fill out the master agreement and, if relevant, the "standard agreement concerning work on a master's thesis done in cooperation with an organization".
Please notice that currently students at the Faculty of Humanities and at the Faculty of Social and Educational Sciences is not to use this form. Please see local guidelines for what to do.
After logging in, some information will already be retrieved from NTNU’s databases; this may vary from person to person, depending on what information is available at the time you fill out the online form. You will find a walkthrough of the different fields of information below. If something is unclear, please contact your department for help.
The Master’s thesis agreement #
- Working title The title of your Master’s thesis at the time you sign the Master’s thesis agreement. The title may change as you write your thesis and you fill in the final title when you hand in your thesis. Thus, this field is called “Working title”
- Surname Your last name. For most students, this is automatically retrieved
- First name Your first name, and, if relevant, your middle name(s), For most students, this is automatically retrieved.
- Date of birth Your date of birth. For most students this is automatically retrieved. You can edit this field using the Norwegian standard DD.MM.YYYY
- E-mail The e-mail address is connected to your NTNU-user. For most students, this is automatically retrieved
- Supervisor Your supervisor, usually an employee at NTNU. All NTNU employees should be found automatically as you type. If you can’t find your adviser here, use the field below – “Adviser manually”
- Supervisor manually Use this field only if you couldn’t register your supervisor in the previous field – “Supervisor”. In this field you can type free text, in the format First name (Middle name(s)) Last name
- Civil Engineering Degree (incorrect translation, will be corrected to Master's Degree in next version) This field is used to calculate the submission deadline. As a student at an engineering study programme
- Abroad when writing If you write your thesis abroad, X days are added to your submission deadline
- Scientific Assistant or Teaching Assistant If you are working as a scientific assistant or research assistant while writing your thesis, X days are added to your submission deadline
- Subject code If you find the course code (i.e. TPG4162) for your thesis in the dropdown menu, select the correct course. Further information will be automatically added to the form.
- Could not find subject code Check this box if you can’t find the correct course code in the dropdown menu. This enables you to write the course code manually in the textbox.
- Study programme code Enter the correct code for the study programme (e.g. MTBYGG)
- Faculty Select the faculty you are affiliated with while writing your thesis. This may have been entered automatically after you selected the course code.
- Department Select the department you are affiliated with while writing your thesis. This may have been entered automatically after you selected the course code.
- Problem description Write your main hypothesis/problem description as of the time you enter into the agreement. Typically, this is the background for the work you are to do, i.e. the questions you seek to answer, in your thesis.
- Fellow student If you co-write your thesis with (an)other student(s) you must include their names in the agreement. All students at NTNU should be found automatically as you type their names in this field. If you can’t find your co-author(s) here, use the field below – “Fellow student manually”.
- Fellow student manually Use this field only if you couldn’t register your co-author(s) in the previous field. In this field you can type free text in the format First name (Middle name(s)) Last name. Multiple persons can be separated by a line break.
- Co-supervisor If you have more than one adviser you must include the name(s) in the agreement. All NTNU employees should be found automatically as you type. If you can’t find your adviser here, use the field below – “Co-adviser(s) manually”
- Co-supervisor manually Use this field only if you couldn’t register your co-adviser(s) in the previous field. In this field you can type free text in the format First name (Middle name(s)) Last name. Multiple persons can be separated by a line break.Courses Usually, the education plan regulates which courses are to be included in a Master’s degree, but in some cases courses must be included in the Master’s thesis agreement. Check with your department if you are to include courses in this Master’s thesis agreement. If this is the case, select “Add course” and fill in the necessary information
Standard agreement concerning work on a Master’s Thesis done in cooperation with an organization #
- Are you writing for a company or organization outside of NTNU?
- Company or organization outside of NTNU The name of the business/external actor
- Contact person at the company/organization The business must provide a contact person who has the requisite advisory skills, and provide the student with sufficient guidance in cooperation with the adviser at NTNU. You can write the name of your contact in this field, in the format First name (Middle name(s)) Last name.
- Expenses associated with carrying out the academic work The objective of the assignment is student work. The work is carried out as a part of the studies, and the student must not receive a formal salary or similar remuneration from the business. If there are some expenses connected to completing the assignment, expenses expected to be covered by the business, these must be described in as much detail as possible here.
- Delayed publication As a general rule, student assignments are public. In special cases, the parts in this agreement can agree that the thesis as a whole, or parts of the thesis, is to be subject delayed publication for a maximum 3 – three – years. This means that the thesis is available only to the student and the business in this period. In this field you must choose between the preset options one, two or three years. Consult the business and your adviser at NTNU.
- The grounds for delayed publication The reason for the need for delayed publication must be described in as much detail as possible.
- Starting Date The date you start writing on your Master's thesis.
- Submission deadline For most, this is calculated automatically (for most of you the calculation is Starting date plus 140 days + possibly Christmas / Easter / other for some of the studies). Check that your submission deadline is correct, and if necessary, correct the date manually (the automatic calculated date can be overruled). You are responsible for the correct date being set; Check with your institute.
- This contract is ready for delivery If you are done registering everything in your Master’s Thesis agreement, check this box before saving. When you save, the content is locked and you will receive an e-mail with an electronic copy of the agreement. If you want to keep the form open for editing, save the form without checking this box – this allows you to keep editing the next time you log in
Lagre (= Save) The registered content is saved when you click Lagre (=Save). If the box “This contract is ready for delivery” is checked the content is locked and the agreement is final. If you have not checked the box, the content is saved and open for further editing the next time you log in.
Avbryt (= Cancel) If you don’t want to save the agreement, click Avbryt (=Cancel). Any changes made to the form will not be saved.