Exchange scholarships administered by NTNU
Many participants in exchange schemes will receive one of the grants that NTNU manages. These include NTNU, Erasmus, Nordplus and sponsor grants.
See more about financing of exchange studies. Back to the overview page on exhange studies [LINK]
Table of Contents [-]
- Scholarships managed by NTNU
- 1. NTNU scholarships
- 2. Erasmus scholarship
- 3. Nordplus
- 4. Sponsor scholarships: TOTAL E&P Norge AS
Scholarships managed by NTNU #
Many people who travel on exchange receive a grant from NTNU. The grant is in addition to funding from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund (Lånekassen). You will automatically be considered for grants that may be relevant when you apply for an exchange. You do not need to apply for them. Note that you can only receive one of the scholarships:
Common requirements for all types of scholarships #
- You must be admitted to a bachelor’s or master’s programme.
- You must have completed at least 60 credits at a higher education institution.
- The programme of study abroad must be included as part of the degree at NTNU (you must apply for prior recognition from your faculty).
- If the faculty/department ranks candidates, this is used as the basis for awarding grants.
- Students can receive a grant even if NTNU does not have an exchange agreement with the institution where they want to study.
- You can only be awarded one grant from the NTNU Office of International Relations for each exchange visit.
- Students who have previously received Erasmus, Nordplus or sponsor grants from NTNU may not receive an NTNU grant for a new period of study abroad.
- Students who have previously received an NTNU grant can receive an Erasmus grant or sponsorship grant for a new period of study abroad.
Payouts of scholarships #
You will receive an email with information about whether you have been awarded a scholarship some time after you have uploaded the confirmation of admission from the education institution abroad in Søknadsweb. If you are offered a scholarship, you must accept or decline it by the specified deadline. Below, you can find information about what to do to receive the scholarship payout:
1. NTNU scholarships #
NTNU has a number of limited scholarships. Students who travel on visits for exchange studies, traineeships/internships or fieldwork abroad can receive NTNU sholarships for the exhange periods 2020/2021 and 2021/2022:
- 1 semester: NOK 12000
- 2 semesters: NOK 20000
Bachelor students in 3-year programmes:
- 4 weeks to 3 months: NOK 7500
- 3 months to 1 semester: NOK 12000
- 2 semesters: NOK 20000
- 4 weeks to 3 months: NOK 500
- 1 semester: NOK 8000
- 2 semesters: NOK 12000
If the faculty does not rank the applicants, scholarships are awarded on the basis of the average grades available in the national student register (Felles studentdatasystem, FS). Only passed courses are included in the calculation of the average grade.
Note that the criteria for awarding scholarships may be changed. Information about the applicable criteria will be posted on this website.
More information about payout of the NTNU scholarship
2. Erasmus scholarship #
Erasmus scholarship for exchange abroad #
Students who travel to an educational institution where NTNU has an Erasmus agreement can receive an Erasmus scholarship. The amount varies depending on the destination country. The rates are for the academic year 2018/2019:
- EUR 460 per month for Erasmus visits to Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Sweden and the UK
- EUR 410 per month to other European countries participating in the Erasmus programme
- EUR 650 per month for students who travel through Erasmus+ global mobility to a country outside the EU
- See information about payment of Erasmus scholarships
Erasmus trainee scholarships #
You can also get a trainee scholarship through Erasmus. The scholarship is paid in addition to any payment that you receive from the company you work in. The amount varies depending on the destination country:
- EUR 560 per month for traineeships in Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Sweden and the UK
- EUR 510 per month for traineeships in other European countries participating in the Erasmus programme
- See information about payout of Erasmus scholarships
Formal prerequisites for obtaining an Erasmus trainee scholarship #
- Students at all levels of study can apply (bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, PhD)
- The traineeship has been approved as part of your degree at NTNU in the form of prior recognition or through your faculty’s confirmation of its relevance to your discipline in your diploma supplement
- The traineeship must last between 2 and 12 months
- You can also go for a traineeship abroad after you graduate (within 12 months of your graduation)
- The scholarship cannot be awarded for work at institutions that are funded by the EU or that manage EU programmes, or for traineeships at a university
Subject to changes #
This information is subject to any changes in the rates for scholarship funding in the Erasmus programme; the valid rates are the EU and SIU rates in effect at any time.
3. Nordplus #
- Per month: Maximum EUR 200
- Funding for travel: Maximum EUR 330
More information about payment of the Nordplus scholarship.
4. Sponsor scholarships: TOTAL E&P Norge AS #
TOTAL offers scholarships for students who travel on exchange to France or Belgium. The rates are the same as for NTNU scholarships:
- 4 weeks to 3 months: NOK 4500
- 1 semester: NOK 5000
- 2 semesters: NOK 9000
Who can receive a TOTAL scholarship:
- Students on exchange to France and Belgium (part of a degree at bachelor’s, master’s or PhD level)
- ATHENS courses at Paris Tech, UC Louvain and KU Leuven
- Traineeships in France and Belgium (part of a degree)
- Support for main excursion; 4th- and 5th-year students in petroleum engineering/geosciences may be eligible for the scholarship if the excursion for their major subject is relevant to TOTAL and takes place in France/Belgium
- NTNU employees can also obtain funding through TOTAL
- Contact Anja Linge Valberg if you have any questions about TOTAL scholarships
More information about payment of the TOTAL scholarship
Get in touch with one of the advisors at the international office for more information