Download software for students
NTNU provides lots of software to students. This article is meant to give you an overview of what you can get, and how you can get it.
Norsk versjon - Last ned programvare for studenter
What can you get? #
NTNU has a number of software programs available for students, many of which can be installed on your private computer in addition to NTNU's computer labs. Note that all NTNU software have to be uninstalled after you've completed your studies.
- For an overview of available software as an student please see Software for students
Here's how to download software #
The software can be downloaded from the NTNU program server . The programs can be retrieved from the server in 2 ways - from the service software.ntnu.no with a browser and by connecting to the network drive Progdist.
Progdist through a browser - software.ntnu.no #
Progdist programs are available through the software.ntnu.no service. You can use this without having to be connected to NTNU's internal network. You must log in with the username and password you have at NTNU.
Software for both Windows, Mac and Linux is available in this way.
To download the applications for your machine and install:
- Go to https://software.ntnu.no. If you are prompted for usernames and passwords, use your NTNU username and password. Then you will come to a webpage that shows which programs you can choose.
- Click on the name of the program you want. Then you will find a webpage where you will find information about the program - about how to install it, the license code you want to use, and links to further information about the program and its use. Under "View All Versions", choose whether to have the program for a Windows, Mac, or Linux machine and which version of the application you should have. By clicking "Download", a "package" will be transferred with the application to your machine.
- The program is installed by clicking on the file name of the file that has been transferred. Before use, the application must be licensed - read the information under the heading License in the information on the website of the application. There is the license code.
Remember to delete the downloaded file after installation.
The network server Progdist #
Progdist is available via NTNU's network if you are within reach of the NTNU wireless network on campus, or via VPN.
Be aware of the traffic limit if you stay in a student village.
|Operating system:||Path:||How to connect:|
|Windows||\\progdist.ntnu.no\progdist||Step by step Windows|
|Mac OS X||smb://progdist.ntnu.no/progdist||Step by step Mac OS X|
|Linux||smb://progdist.ntnu.no/progdist||Step by step Linux|
Note: You log in using your NTNU username and password. Is it however important to use the domain win-ntnu-no. Look at the guides for further information.
Instruction for installation and licensing can be found in the Readme.txt-file in the same folder as the software you are installing. We recommend yhat you copy over the installation file to your local disk first, and then install it from this location.
Remember to delete the downloaded file after installation.
Note that the latest version of the programs may not bee available in Progdist. You will find older versions of programs and programs and plugins that are not available in software.ntnu.no.
Progdist folders #
Progdist is divided into two categories. The placement of a program on Progdist is decided by the type of user agreement NTNU has signed for the particular program.
Campus folder: Software available freely to all students and employees. There are one subfolder for each software. These programs are available in software.ntnu.no. Note that there are programs that can only be retrieved from Progdist by using Progdist as a network drive.
Betal (Pay) folder: Software available only for specific employees at specific faculties. This is typically where some faculties have bought a limited number of licenses. There are a few programs available for students in this folder, and if you need any of these you can contact the Orakel Support Services.
Cannot find the software you are looking for? #
There is software that is only available to some faculties or institutes. You have to contact your faculty or institute for the installation procedure for such software.
If you need a specific software to a course at NTNU, your student assistant or your teacher will know how to get the software.
There are two ways to license software:
- Site licensing - the program can be used by an unlimited number of users
- Size limited license - only a certain number of users can use the software simultaniously. The number of users is controlled by a license server.
The software can be a standalone installation or an installation which you cannot use without connecting to a license server. If licensing from a license server you have to be connected to the NTNU nettwork when using the software - directly or by using VPN software. Standalone installed software can also be used when the PC is not connected to a network.
The license code is an activation key or an installation key:
- Activation key: The software is activated by using the internet - the software works only after activation.
- Installation key - the software works at once when you have installed the license key.
When using a license server, enter the address to the server on NTNU's network.
Licensing type, license code and information about the installation are in the program information in software.ntnu.no and in the Readmee file in the folder with the program on Progdist.
Alternative: Software Farm (Programfarm) #
With Software Farm, you can access software without having them installed on your own computer. You can also access the same files and folders no matter where you are and which computer you are currently using. You use your regular NTNU username and password to log in.
Orakel Support Services can help if you encounter difficulties.