Digital home exam - for students
This site contains information about how to deliver your home exam, report, hand-ins, project assignments, bachelor- and master´s thesis, as well as other graded assignments digitally in Inspera Assessment.
Norsk versjon - Digital hjemmeeksamen - for studenter
PS: Enable english subtitles
1. Preparations for your home exam
Due to the ongoing corona virus situation, there will be extended use of hand drawings and software for coming home exams. Pay close attention to information from your subject teachers, Innsida intranet and Studentweb. It is expected that all students have made themselves familiar with the necessary tools before the exam day. Read the user guides relevant for your exam well in advance of the exam day.
Autumn semester 2020: Home exams with a duration of up to and including 6 hours will have its own dedicated exam-help telephone +47 73 59 16 00 available during the main exam-period (23.11-19.12). It is important that you contact IT Support immediately in the event of any problems. The IT support will be able to compensate for lost time due to technical problems, but will not provide access to an exam where the time has expired. Students are responsible for completing and uploading files before the exam deadline expires, so ensure you always set aside time for this.
We recommend that you use wired internet access during the exams if available. If you do not have the option of using wired internet access then we recommend that you have your computer as close to the wireless access point as possible with a stable connection. You may want to advise other users of the network you are on that the exam is being conducted so that they may adjust their use of the shared network if necessary.
If you happen to lose your internet connection then there are some other options you can consider like using a mobile device to setup a shared internet connection.
Updated computer and browsers
Remember to update your computer a day or two before the exam to minimize the risk of it auto-updating during your exams.
We recommend using either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. We also recommend to keep them up to date to avoid any potential problems during your exams.
We highly recommend that browser extensions such as ADblockers, VPN and tracking blockers be disabled when working in Inspera Assessment. Those of you who use such extensions are advised to either perform the examination in another browser without such extensions, or disable the extensions temporarily. This is to ensure that any updates to these extensions do not block elements or saving of your assessments.
Borrowing computer equipment
If you do not have a working computer, please contact Orakeltjenesten support services. They can provide you with support and knowledge about the exam system Inspera Assessment. If you are unable to resolve the issue and you are unable to acquire a computer by other means, please fill out this application form to borrow a computer. Please note that the supply of computers is limited. You are also able to request a headset w/ microphone through the same form.
Familiarize yourself with the exam system
- Log in to Inspera Assessment.
We recommend using the browsers Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
Log in using your NTNU FEIDE username and password.
- Navigate to the "demo tests" tab and choose a demo test relevant for your home exam.
- The home exam in Inspera Assessment can include both questions to be answered directly in Inspera, or as file uploads. Most home exams will have an auto delivery feature enabled. This means that what you have done and / or uploaded will be delivered automatically when the exam time expires. This differs from school exam and bachelor/master, where you have to manually deliver. As with the school exam, what you do in Inspera is automatically stored in intervals.
File upload questions will give you confirmation when a file is successfully stored. You may remove or replace existing files. Only the last version will be available for the graders.
- Your exam will be visible in Inspera Assessment under "My Tests" a few days before the exam date. If the test is not visible the day before the exam, contact your department.
- Taking an exam abroad? Make sure to be aware of timezone differences.
2. During your exams
- Log in to Inspera Assessment and find your exam under "My tests".
- Read the information on the cover page and the question text carefully.
- If your submission is supposed to be anonymous, make sure you remove author metadata from your files.
- Remaining time for your exam will always be visible in the top left corner, as a countdown.
- Be sure to upload any files before the exam time expires. Do not wait until the last possible second. Your submission will be locked when the exam time expires.
Note! Autumn 2020: For home exams with a duration of up to and including 6 hours, where parts of or the entire answer should be submitted as a file, 30 minutes are added to the examination time. The additional time is included in the remaining examination time, visible in the top left corner of the screen.
The additional 30 minutes are meant for uploading/submission. If you experience technical problems during uploading/submission, you must contact technical support well in advance of the exam time expiring. If you can't get through immediately, hold the line until you get an answer. The Examinations office will not accept late submissions due to technical problems from candidates who haven't sought technical support within the examination time.
- You can upload, remove and replace files in Inspera during your exam. When the examination time expires, the files you have uploaded are automatically submitted. It is your responsibility to ensure that all files are uploaded before the exam time expires.
Note! It is possible to upload only one file per upload assignment question.
- If you experience technical problems during your exam or when submitting your answer, contact technical support immediately. The contact information is stated on the cover page of the exam, and/or in the test's information box when you view the test in "My tests" on the dashboard in Inspera.
3. After the exam
You are expected to verify that what you have delivered is correct. If you deliver before the examination time runs out, go to the question set and check your answers. Download any files you have uploaded and review the content.
If you would like to view or download your answer after the exam, log in to Inspera Assessment and navigate to the "Archive" tab.
We recommend that you save copies of your exam answers as you will lose access upon completion of your study at NTNU.
4. Frequently asked questions about digital submissions
- Will Safe Exam Browser be required for home exams?
No, home exams will be performed in your normal browser without any lockdown in regards your internet or software on your computer.
- Are there any technical requirements for home exams in Inspera Assessment?
There are few requirements for home exams in Inspera Assessment. This means that you may use linux, chromeOS and tablets for home exams as opposed to school exams where Safe Exam Browser puts in place some requirements. Inspera Assessment does not support Internet Explorer, we also recommend you have a monitor larger than 10", any smaller screens might have issues with displaying the question set properly.
If you experience any issues with questions or elements, we recommend you first try switching web browser. Please notify us of issues - even if you are able to solve the problem yourself.
- Am i able to work on the same exam with multiple tabs at the same time?
We strongly recommend avoiding multiple tabs. You may end up having issues saving your work and may end up overwriting answers if switching between different tabs in the same exam.
- Am i able to work simultaneously on different devices/browsers in Inspera Assessment?
No, you may only have 1 session open. When you log into a new device/browser - your other sessions will be closed and you will be logged out.
- There is no test under “ My tests”.
Your exam will be visible under "My tests" about 1-2 days before the exam date. If the test doesn't appear, this mainly has two possible reasons:
- The browser has cached an empty version of the page – try incognito/private browser window.
- You are not registered for the exam. Check your exam registrations in Studentweb. If you are not registered for the exam, contact the Examinations Office
- Not able to upload your file/answer
This might be happening when you are trying to upload a file type that is not permitted. Your course-lecturer can define what filetypes are permitted .pdf for example. This information is visible above the upload button.
- Problems with delivery before deadline
See the frontpage of your exam question set for contact information. Orakel support services will also be able to provide support for technical issues.
Delivering after the deadline
In the case of ordinary home exams / submissions (submissions that last for several days), it is the administration at the institute to which the subject belongs that decides whether it is to be opened for submission after the deadline or not. Contact the administration at your department, enclose a copy of the answer you want to receive.
For short-term home exams (up to 6 hours duration), the examination office will handle these in collaboration with IT. A separate exam helpline has been established for students with short-term home exams (+47 735 91600). For questions about delivery after the deadline, you are to send an email to the exam office firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your subject code, candidate number and any files in question.
Home exam with hand drawings
Home exam with third party software
How to create PDF documents
Pack and unpack zip-files/a>
NTNU Software farm
PDF Editor through software farm
Sharing internet through a mobile device
Remove author information from documents
Special needs accommodation
If you have dyslexia and wish to notify the grader(s) about this you can do so by attaching a dyslexia certificate to their answer. If you don’t have a digital version of the certificate at hand, fill out this form. The dyslexia certificate will then be uploaded as an attachment to your answer by the Examinations Office after the exam. This attachment will not be visible for you in the “Archive” tab in Inspera.Please check this article for more information about special needs accommodation.
Cheating on exams can result in annulment of the exam in which you cheated, in addition to suspensions from the University, and loss of the right to take the exam at other universities end university colleges. For more information, see. NTNU's site on cheating on exams.
Contact & Supportorakel@ntnu.no
Tel: 735 91500
Note that the phone number for technical support for an ongoing exam may differ. You will find the correct phone number on the cover page of the exam.