Career support and development for postdocs
This page provides an overview over career development instruments and other resources available for current and prospective postdocs at NTNU. As an employer, NTNU wishes to systematically, and actively, support the career development of all its postdoctoral researchers in order to guarantee a positive postdoc experience at NTNU and to maximize their future career opportunities and perspectives.
Norsk versjon: Karriereutvikling for postdoktorer
Table of Contents [-]
- Courses and seminars
- The Postdoc Action
- Long-term goals for career support and development
- Available resources for all postdocs
- Online resources
Courses and seminars #
PhD-supervisor seminars in 2019:
- Two-day: 16 and 17 January
- Two-day: 12 and 13 Februar
- Three-day: 13 February, 4 June and 22 October
The Postdoc Action #
The University Research Committee initiated the strategic initiative «The Postdoc Action», and a Postdoc Action pilot project was launched in 2017. The project runs for 2 years and currently involves postdocs selected from all faculties at NTNU. Read more about the NTNU Postdoc Action Pilot and its goals.
Long-term goals for career support and development #
By establishing a new and more holistic career support and career development policy, NTNU aims to:
- Provide postdocs with optimal career development support during their appointment at NTNU, in order to help postdoctoral researchers to maximize their future career opportunities.
- Offer a range of instruments that can contribute to a positive and successful postdoctoral experience (strengthening research, education and innovation), for both the individual postdoctoral candidate as well as the employer.
Available resources for all postdocs #
The following resources are currently already available for all postdocs at NTNU:
Courses and workshops for postdocs #
The HR and HSE division offers courses and seminars that are relevant for postdocs, such as:
- Research-based course on PhD Supervision
- Workshop on Publishing in International Journals
NTNUs Educational Development Unit («Uniped») also organizes relevant courses, such as:
- Pedagogical course for PhD students and postdoctoral researchers (offered both in English and in Norwegian)
Courses are announced on NTNUs Skills development and courses pages («Læringsportalen»)
- Postdoc employee dialogue: The dialogue is an annual employee interview with a close leader. It should serve as a foundation for career strategy, employee development and mapping of the working environment.
- Career plan for postdocs: A career plan is an awareness process and documentation that clarifies one’s career goals. It will be followed up regularly in annual employee interviews.
The NTNU Postdoc Action Pilot project has developed these templates, which will be further evaluated and adjusted. These templates may already be used by all postdocs at NTNU, and can freely be adjusted by and tailored to the situation of the individual postdoc.
The NTNU Alumni Career Fair for PhDs and Postdocs #
The annual NTNU Alumni PhD- and Postdoc conference is an opportunity to raise awareness of the added value of a doctoral degree in all sectors of working life and to develop strategies that increase the use of PhD expertise in business and industry, in small and medium-sized enterprises and in the public sector.
Online resources #
the following online resources may also be relevant for current and prospective postdocs at NTNU, seeking to maximize their career opportunities.
Career development and job application resources #
- Vitae - Realizing the potential in researchers
- Career development toolkit for researchers
- REFLEX Researcher Career Development Scheme
- Career planning for PhDs e-book
- Euraxess - European jobs
- Tips on writing an academic CV
- Academic cover letters
- How to prepare for a job interview
Other resources for current and prospective postdocs at NTNU #
- Vacant positions at NTNU
- The Research Council of Norway – Look for funding opportunities
- NTNU International Researcher Support - NIRS – Among other services, NIRS offers counselling services for administrative staff and researchers working at or visiting NTNU.
- Gender equality at NTNU
- DION – The interest organization for doctoral and postdoctoral candidates at NTNU
- New in Norway
- Learn Norwegian
- Career centre of Sør-Trøndelag County – Offers free career guidance and organizes job application courses (website currently only available in Norwegian)
- For questions about the NTNU Postdoc Action and Postdoc Action Pilot project:
Contact Ragnhild Lofthus, Rector’s Staff
- For questions related to centrally offered career development instruments or feedback to this website:
Contact Kristin Skjeldestad, HR- and HSE Division
- For questions related to the individual disciplines at the faculties and institutes:
Contact the respective unit directly. See overview of all units at NTNU.