Borrow and order from the library
You can borrow most resources from the NTNU University Library free of charge. On this page you can find practical information on how you borrow and order literature.
Our primary users are students and employees at NTNU and St. Olavs Hospital.
How do I get my library card? #
- Your student card is also your library card for all NTNU libraries; students should find that they are already registered for borrowing at their campus library when the semester starts.
- Your library ID number is on the back of your card, e.g.: NTNU123456, M 0123456789
- Update any changes to your address, etc., in Studentweb
Your NTNU id (and access) card is also your library card:
- Your library ID number is on the back of the card, e.g.: NTNU123456, M 0123456789
- Updates on e.g. address, phone number etc.?: please contact your local library.
You need to contact your local library if you want to update your contact information.
What can I borrow? #
Most of the documents in our collections are available for borrowing without any costs. We also offer a large number of online journals and ebooks. These electronic resources are available for students and employees at NTNU when connected to the NTNU network, either at campus or via VPN.
How to log on and use Oria #
- Search for your document in Oria. Type in author name and word(s) in title.
- Click [Get it] to see where the document is located and if it is available.
- Documents currently checked out can be reserved.
- You have to sign in to Oria to order or reserve documents, or to renew loans. Click [Sign in] in the right hand corner. After log in, click on [Get it] and [Request] to send your order.
- Please do not reserve books that are available in the library. You must collect books available on the shelf at your library by yourself.
- Documents not available at the library can be ordered in via other libraries.
- You will receive a message from the library when the documents arrives.
If you are a remote student, we can in most cases send books and documents to you. You are responsible for returning the books.
Borrowing periods #
- Regular Loan: 4 weeks
- Short term loan : 14 days
- One day loan : not available for home loan and must be delivered the same day.
You find the due date for the loan on the receipt or under “My account” in Oria .
Renew loans #
Loans can be renewed as long as no one else has reserved the document. The maximum loan period for documents are 180 days for students, 365 days for staff. You have to log on to Oria and go to "My Account".
There can be several reasons why you can not renew yourself. In such cases, please contact your local library.
How do I return borrowed documents? #
You can return borrowed books to any of NTNU’s libraries. After closing time borrowed documents are placed in the return box by the library entrance. At the Dragvoll Library and at Gjøvik Library you must return your borrowed documents in the return automat.
Suggest a purchase #
Do you know of documents that you can't find in the library, but you think that we should own? Suggest a purchase
Using resources from the library #
Do you need help borrowing, ordering or searching in Oria? Contact your local library