Blackboard - help for staff
On this page you will find resources and help for teachers and other staff using Blackboard learn.
Norsk versjon: Blackboard - hjelp for ansatte
See also Blackboard - How to get started, with frequently asked questions about the transition from itslearning and Fronter to Blackboard.
Table of Contents [-]
- Support Services
- Sources for help
- Suggest improvements
- Frequently asked questions
Support Services #
Contact the Orakel Support Services if you need technical or practical assistance with Blackboard. This includes
- Problems with logging on
- Lack of access to Blackboard
- Missing courses in Blackboard
- Questions concerning use
- Requests for functionality
Blackboard has replaced itslearning and Fronter as NTNU's e-learning system from the autumn of 2017. A restricted number of courses have been piloting the new system since the autumn of 2016. The course overview (Norwegian) shows you which courses have been included.
System service messages concerning the pilot are communicated through the message channel Driftsmeldinger om Blackboard pilot (in Norwegian only).
Pilotnettverket is being closed #
Staff participating in the Blackboard pilot have had access to the Pilotnettverket ("the Pilot Network") - a digital arena for sharing experiences. As of March 1 2017 work has begun to close down Pilotnettverket. Functionality and content will be shifted to the demo course "BB1001 - Course design in Blackboard", available to all staff.
Sources for help #
There are several resources available to those who need assistance with Blackboard.
Training resources on the Blackboard topic page #
On the Blackboard topic page you will find an overview of videos and wiki user manuals produced locally at NTNU. Further digital training resources are being developed and will be made available as they are ready.
Help texts in Blackboard #
A number of tools and functions in Blackboard are accompanied by help texts in italics. If you do not see them you may first have to turn on the functionality by clicking the question mark icon on the right side of the edit mode button. In many cases you will be able to open a pop-up window with further help by clicking the link "More Help".
The demonstration course "BB1001 - Course design in Blackboard" #
All staff at NTNU are able to self-enrol as students in the demo course "BB1001 - Course design in Blackboard" by clicking a link on the "Home tab". The course is there to fill several functions:
- Demonstration of good practice. The course shows how various tools and functionality may be used in a pedagogical manner in one's own course design.
- Discussion board. A discussion forum allows you to discuss with other staff at NTNU. Note that the official support channel is Orakel Support Services.
- Nano courses - unofficial resources. During the course of the pilot a great many so-called "nano courses" - short, visual, step-by-step guides have been developed. These do not in all cases satisfy the requirements for universal design, but will still be available as unofficial training resources in the course room
Blackboard Help - Blackboard's own help pages #
Blackboard has it's own comprehensive knowledge database. Note that the descriptions of functionality and use found on these pages do not always reflect Blackboard as the system is adapted at NTNU.
Other information #
- We have created a short presentation with key information about Blackboard Learn designed for students and recommend that instructors dedicate a little in the first lecture of the semester for this. The presentation can be downloaded in English as well as Norwegian.
- The wiki page Teaching resources - contacts shows you each faculty's contact with respect to teaching support.
- The message channel E-læring (in Norwegian only) gives information on e-learning at NTNU.
Suggest improvements #
Concrete suggestions for improvements to or new functionality in Blackboard, can be submitted to the Orakel Support Services. Cases will be assessed and registered and you can keep track of the process here:
- See all registered cases (check if the issue is already registered before submitting).
- Cases sorted by topic/category
Frequently asked questions #
How do I log on to Blackboard?
- You will find a login button on the topic page for Blackboard
- You have a login tile in Innsida's "waffle menu"
- You can also add Blackboard as a system short cut on Innsida by clicking the computer screen icon, choosing "Add or remove systems", place a checkmark for Blackboard and clicking "OK".
Why am I not able to log on?
- Use your NTNU user name and password (Feide)
- As staff you need to be added as an instructor or assistant in the course in the FS database in order to get access. Problems can often be solved locally through a correction of registered information in FS. Your contact in the Network for Teaching and Learning Support may be able to help you with this.
- Contact the Oracle Support Services if you need further help.
Will I no longer be able to use itslearning/Fronter?
itslearning and Fronter is closed, effective from July 15, 2017. As of the autumn of 2017 Blackboard is the only e-learning system at NTNU.
- For frequently asked questions about the transition, see Blackboard - How to get started
- Blackboard - Adaptive release of content
- Blackboard - Add third party applications
- Blackboard - Adjusting the course menu
- Blackboard - Assessing course work
- Blackboard - Content areas and menus for adding content
- Blackboard - Content folder and learning module
- Blackboard - Conversion of file formats for multiple choice questions
- Blackboard - Copying moving and deleting content
- Blackboard - Course management - Adding staff to a course
- Blackboard - Create groups
- Blackboard - Create individual assignments
- Blackboard - Creating and editing announcements
- Blackboard - Creating group assignments
- Blackboard - Creating self and peer assessments
- Blackboard - Creating tests and surveys
- Blackboard - Delegated grading
- Blackboard - Edit course front page and other module pages
- Blackboard - Edit groups
- Blackboard - Export and copy courses
- Blackboard - Export list of students
- Blackboard - Frequently asked questions for employees
- Blackboard - Groups - Import members from CSV-file
- Blackboard - Groups and tools for group work
- Blackboard - Import questions from external sources
- Blackboard - Item and blank page
- Blackboard - Open courses and guest access
- Blackboard - Organizing the grade center
- Blackboard - Overview of the grade center
- Blackboard - Question types for tests and surveys
- Blackboard - Qwickly tool
- Blackboard - Reusing questions in tests
- Blackboard - Sending email to students
- Blackboard - student preview and edit mode
- Blackboard - The content editor
- Blackboard - The course management menu
- Blackboard - Tools and functionality
- Blackboard - Using rubrics