Blackboard - Item and blank page
On this page you will find a description of the content types Item and Blank page, both of which can be created from the Build content menu in Blackboard and can be used to build course content.
Norsk versjon - Blackboard - Element og Tom side
Before you start #
If you want to add files and folders into your courses, you should first consider if it's best to upload files to "My content" or directly into your courses. If you choose to upload files directly into course content (A - picture below), the files will automatically be stored in Course content (B), not in the folder My content (C).
Choose where to build content #
- To create an item/blank page, navigate to one of the areas which gives you access to the Build Content menu. Click Home/Hjem (A) and choose one of your courses (B).
- Now you can start building content in one of the course content areas (A - picture below). Note that if you don't choose to hide any of these content areas from the menu, then all of them will be visible for students.You can edit and delete course menu items if wanted, but please note that it will be best for students if their courses has the same or similar structure. Read more about adjusting the course menu
You can choose between several tools to build content in Your courses. In this wiki you will learn the differences and similarities of a Item and a Blank Page.
What is the similarities of Item and Blank page? #
An Item or a Blank page may consist of text only, formated in the same manner as in a word processor. However, as they make use of the Content Editor, they are powerful tools which allow you to do much of what can be done using the other alternatives in the Build Content menu.
- One can attach files and create links, but also embed audio, images and video.
- Flickr-images, SlideShare presentations and YouTube videos can be embedded as "Mashups"
- Using the HTML- and CSS buttons, one can program advanced content, maintaining creative control.
What is the differences between Item and Blank page? #
The processes for creating an item and a blank page are very similar and can be described together. Both gives Access to the Content editor.
The main difference is how the content is presented to students.
Items and Blank pages give you the option between attaching and embedding files. This is first and foremost a matter of preference.
Below you will find four different ways of presenting the content:
- Blank page with file attached to the folder (A). File appears with the folder.
- Blank page where file(s) are included in content (B) using the content editor. Only folder-name is visible for students.
- Item with file as attachment to folder (C).
- Item with file included in content (D) using the content editor.
Note that the titles of Blank pages should be descriptive as it is not possible to present the pages with any further description.
How to create an Item or Blank page? #
- From the Build content menu that appears when you have chosen where to build content, select Item or Blank Page:
- We will explain how to create a Blank Page. The steps for creating an Item is mostly the same. Specify a name (required field). Note that you have the option of selecting a colour for the title. It is recommended, however, that you keep it black in order to ensure a good contrast, which is key to universal design.
- Add content using the content editor. If you need help using this tool, see: Blackboard - The content editor.
- Scroll down. If you like, you can add files as attachments (A) using the buttons to localize files on either your computer or in the content collection. You can also choose if and when this page shall be visible for students (B).
- Review the standard options and click Submit.
- Later you can edit name and content by navigating your cursor over the Page name and click on the little grey arrow which appears by the name (see picture below) .
How to add files in content or as attachement #
- To add files as attachement by browsing "My computer", follow these steps:
- To add files in content by browsing content collection, follow these steps:
See also #
Orakel Support Services can help if you have questions or if you encounter difficulties.