Blackboard - Course management - Adding staff to a course
In this wiki we will show you how to add staff to a course, and how to change user roles for employees in courses in Blackboard Learn.
Norsk versjon - Blackboard - Legge til ansatte i emner
Adding staff to a course #
Courses in Blackboard Learn are automatically generated from course information in FS (Felles Studentsystem). Lecturers and students are initially imported to FS from the course information in EpN (Emner på Nett). Automatic import of lecturers requires that information about lecturers are available within Blackboard.
It is possible to manually add staff (Underviser = Lecturer, Teaching Assistants) to courses within Blackboard Learn, as long as they are registered as employees at NTNU and have a valid FEIDE-user.
- To enroll a teacher, go to Users in the Course Management Menu of your course.
- In the next window, click Find Users to Enroll.
- Click Browse. This opens a new window where you can search for users.
- Choose whether you want to search for username, first name, last name or e-mail. We recommend searching for username. Enter the name of the teacher, and click Go.
- Only those who are not already enrolled in the course will be shown in the results. Tick the user you want to enroll and press Submit.
If you can't find the user you are looking for, you must contact your local Blackboard or FS-contact at your department. They are able to check if the person is properly registered in FS or Paga (the HR-system).
- Now you have to define the Role of the selected user. Click on the drop-down menu, choose a role and press Submit.
- You will get a confirmation if the user have successfully been added to the course.
Change User's Role in a Course #
It is possible to change the role of an enrolled user in a course.
- Click on the Options menu next to the users name and select Change User's Role in Course.
- Select Role (1) and press Submit (2).
The Role has now been edited.
Change User's Availability in a Course #
If an employee no longer needs access to a course, you can change their availability-status.
- Changes to availability will only apply to the selected course.
- When changing the availability status, the selected course will no longer be available to the selected user(s).
- If you set the availability status for a user to No, all assessments made by this user will also be deleted.
- It is not possible for staff to remove users from courses.
- A students access to a course only be changed in FS.
- Go to Course Management > Users and Groups > Users. Click on the Options menu next to the user's name, and select Change User's Availability in Course.
- Select No in the drop-down menu next to Available (1), and click Submit (2) to save changes.
- In the list of all Users in the course, you will now see that the User's availability status has changed to No.
Student Access to Courses in Blackboard #
Students must not be added manually to courses in Blackboard. Students are automatically given access to their courses after they have confirmed their Study plan on Studentweb, and paid the student fee. Note that it might take a couple of days before the information in FS is updated and the student is added to the course. Students who have problems getting access to their courses in Blackboard can contact the Orakel Support Services.
See also #
Orakel Support Services can help if you have questions or if you encounter difficulties.