Blackboard - Add third party applications
This article explains how to add third party applications in Blackboard.
Norsk versjon - Blackboard - Add third party applications
It is possible to integrate third party applications into your Blackboard course page. Such applications could be used to make the course page more interactive and exiting. This article merely demonstrates the process, and will not show all possible options.
Show lecture hall in MazeMap #
Especially for new students, it could be really useful to have an interactive map which shows were the lectures will be held.
- First, we must find MazeMap's embed code. Go to MazeMap's website
- You can choose campus on the left hand side, and search for specific room numbers in the search field at the top center of the page.When you have selected a room, click on the square with an arrow (1). In this example we will be using the room R1 at Realfagsbygget, Gløshaugen.
- A box will appear. Click on Embed Map (1) and then copy the code in the text field (2).
- Now, go to your Blackboard course, and enter a content area, for example Course information.
- Click on Build Content (1) and then on item (2).
- After you have filled in the name field and potentially written som text, click on the icon for embedded media (1).
- In the Type field, select iframe.
- Click on Source and paste the code from MazeMap into the text field. If the text field already contains some code; delete it.
- Navigate back to the General tab (1) and check wether the map has been added (2). If it looks okay, click Insert (3).
- We are now back in the item, and an yellow box (1) will appear inside the text fields.
- When you are done finishing up your item; click Send to the bottom right.
- You now have an interactive map displaying the lecture hall's location, placed under Course information.
In a similar manner, you can integrate most external applications, as long as you have an iframe-code.
OneNote Class Notebook #
OneNote CLass Notebook is a third party application which is available directly in Blackboard.
- Go to your Blackboard course's page, and enter a content area; e.g. Learning materials.
- Click on Tools (1), More Tools (2) and then on OneNote Class NoteBook (3).
- Give the NoteBook a fitting Link Name and click Send.
- The OneNote link has now been created, but it's not ready for usage yet. To start the configuration, click on the title of your notebook.
- You will now enter a page were you must approve the usage of OneNote, since it's an external application. To approve it, click Launch.
- From this point on, the OneNote configuration is only available in Norwegian. We will guide you trough it and translate anything of importance.
- You will now be asked to login to OneNote. Click on Logg på OneNote (Logg in to OneNote) (1).
- You will now get a confirmation that the notebook is being created. Click Neste (next) (1).
- It is possible to share the notebook with another lecturer by pasting their email into the text field (1), but this is optional. Click Neste (next) (1).
- On this page, choose the first option, Legg til elever fra systemet ditt for læringsadministrasjon når de tar i bruk denne notatblokken (add students from you system for teaching administration when they use this notebook) (1). Then click Neste (next) (2).
- You can now edit the sections of the notebook. Choose the predefined sections you wish to use (1), or optionally add your own by clicking Legg til flere (add more) (2). When you are finished, click Neste (next) (3).
- You are now ready to create the notebook. Click Opprett (create) (1).
- The software will now spend a couple of seconds configuring the notebook. It will look something like this:
- The notebook is now ready. To see the new notebook, click either Åpne i OneNote (open in OneNote) (1) or Åpne i OneNote Online (open in NoeNote Online) (2). Use the latter if you don't have OneNote installed on your computer. You can also install the desktop extension by clicking Last ned klassenotatblokk-tillegget (download the class notebook extension) (3).
- Next time you click on the notebook title inside your content area in Blackboard, you will arrive at a NoteBook splash screen. To open the notebook, click Åpne klassenotatblokken (open the class notebook) (1).
See Also #
Orakel Support Service can help if you have any questions.