Application for exchange stay abroad
This page provides information for NTNU students for how to apply for an exchange stay abroad, internships/practical training or fieldwork abroad, grants that NTNU manages and pre-approval of courses. Topic page on study abroad.
In Norwegian: Søk om utveksling i utlandet
How to apply #
- Pre-approval of courses: Before you log into Søknadsweb and create an application, you must fill in a form for pre-approval of courses.
- See advice on the best way to fill in the form
- You apply through Søknadsweb: Please note the points below:
- You can list up to three places of study/traineeship in order of priority: Your 1st choice is the main choice that will be followed up, while choices 2 and 3 may be considered if your 1st choice is not possible.
- Choice of institution/traineeship organization outside an NTNU agreement: Choose “Individavtale” (individual agreement) in the drop-down menu. In addition, you must specify the name of the education institution/traineeship organization in the field for comments.
- Exchange at two education institutions/traineeship organizations: If you want to apply to two different education institutions/traineeship organizations in separate semesters, you must submit two applications in Søknadsweb.
- Uploading documents: Upload the form for prior recognition of courses. In addition, you must upload course descriptions and any reading lists if the faculty/department needs these.
- Individual procedures at faculty, department and programme level:
- Faculty of Humanities (HF): In addition to uploading the form for prior recognition of courses, you must email it to email@example.com
- Faculty of Engineering (IV): In addition to uploading the form for prior recognition of courses, you must email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Faculty of Social and Educational Sciences (SU): In addition to uploading the form for prior recognition of courses, you must email it to email@example.com
- Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (IE): See additional procedures for IE students (in Norwegian)
- Health and social work students who are to do traineeships abroad:
- It is only possible to apply to education institutions and traineeship organizations that your programme of study has entered into an agreement with.
- In addition to the form for prior recognition of courses, you must upload your transcript of grades, CV, personal statement, evaluation from practical training, if the programme of study requires this, and documentation of your English language skills if you will be studying outside the Nordic countries (diploma from upper secondary school or other documentation).
After you have applied in Søknadsweb #
- You will receive an email confirming that we have received your application 1 to 7 days after the application deadline (in Norwegian). Note that it may take longer to receive a reply if you have applied outside the main deadlines.
- If you have applied to travel to an institution with an exchange agreement with NTNU, you will receive an email from the NTNU Office of International Relations about 4 to 8 weeks after the application deadline with information about what you need to do in relation to the institution abroad. Note that in some cases it may take longer before you receive an email, but your exchange adviser will make sure that you receive a response in time to meet the host university’s internal deadline.
- If you have applied to travel to an institution/traineeship organization where NTNU does not have an agreement, you are responsible for applying directly to the university or organization. Here, you must comply with the host university's requirements for documentation and deadlines. The NTNU Office of International Relations cannot follow up on the individual’s application process.
- Upload confirmation of admission or any other documentation on admission from the education institution abroad in Søknadsweb as soon as you have it. In most cases, confirmation of admission from the institution abroad will be sent directly to you. If the confirmation of admission is sent to your international coordinator, you will be notified of this.
- You will receive an email if you receive one of the grants that NTNU manages (in Norwegian) some time after you have uploaded the confirmation of admission in Søknadsweb. If you are offered a grant, you must accept or decline it in the Søknadsweb system for online applications by the specified deadline.
- Change or withdraw an application? If you want to change or withdraw your application, you can do this yourself in Søknadsweb until the deadline for applications. If the deadline for applications has expired, you must contact your exchange advisor. You should also inform your coordinator at your programme of study, department or faculty.