Accounting for travel expenses
Everything you need to know about accounting for travel expenses, deadlines and deductions. For employees at NTNU. Travel expenses claim should be submitted as soon as possible and no later than one month after the travel has ended.
Norsk - Reiseregning
Bot Ana controls now all travel expenses claims at NTNU. If you get your claim in return, you will also get a comment from Anna about what is missing in the claim.
If you have questions about contact us on tel 73 41 31 40 Monday to Friday 10.00 – 14.00.
Travel expenses claim in HR-portalen for NTNU employees #
If you an employee at NTNU, you need to use Travel expenses claim in HR-portalen.
Sign in to HR-portalen and choose My folder. In the left upper corner find a green section named New form. Then choose Travel expenses claim from the drop down list.
To access HR portalen use Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari and Chrome. Mac users must use Firefox. Linux users must contact Bluegarden. Check browsers and pop-up problems.
Page 1 travel expenses claim #
- Organisation: division you are working for, who will pay your travel claim.
NB! If you work and registered at one division but travel on the behalf of another division, then you should change Organisation field, and choose the department that will receive your travel claim.
- Override accounts: it is very important to fill in boxes prosjektnr, analyse and correct ksted in this section! Ksted is the division you are travelling on behalf of. Organisation– is the division you are employed at. It can be to different numbers in these fields. Do not fill inn Art. It comes automatically.
- Where and why did you travel: describe detailed the place and the purpose of your travel. It is not enough to write f.eks. meeting/course/seminar in Oslo. Write the name of meeting/course and the exact place you were at.
- Travel type: only reimbursement of expenses or coverage of both food and travel (subsistence allowance for government rates).
- Type of accomodation: choose the type of accomodation. If you travel combine both private and work-related travel - remember to write the dates for both travels separately.
Travel abroad #
When you choose travel abroad on page one, you will get an extra section Compensation allowance. You should also choose a foreign currency and write the amount of expenses in foreign currency. You should also fill in the exchange rate. It will be automatically filled out in NOK.
Meal deduction #
NB! All the food you get in Norway is taxable. Food coverage depends on type of travel. The food is not covered if the travel is inland and under the 6 hours.
Click on the boxes for meals that were included in your travel. Includes meals that were paid for as a part of your conference fee or breakfasts that were offered as part of the hotel price. This is because you are paid a fixed amount per day (per diem) to cover your food expenses, and if they are paid for by someone else then the fixed amount for that meal is deducted from the per diem amount.
Car allowance #
Driving reimbursement is only when you use your own car. If you have used buss, trains, planes etc., you need to fill in reimbursement of expenses.
It should be agreed with your leader. Accurate driving route must be provided. Can be downloaded from google maps. The name of passengers must be filled in.
Save the form to be able to upload the receipts #
To upload a receipt, you must SAVE the travel claim first.
Travel expenses #
Choose the type of expenses or Import from credit card: if you have a credit card, than some information will be filled in automatically. It pays to have credit cards if you travel a lot. More about Credit card
Fly expenses is a bit special - it have to be documented by ticket/receipt showing amount, date, name and flight.
Receipt: remember to save the form to upload the receipt! You can also upload all receipts at the last page of travel claim.
Remember to choose a foreign currency and write the amount of expenses in foreign currency. You should also fill in the exchange rate. It will be automatically filled out in NOK.
Travel advance received #
If you have applied for and received a travel advance for the trip, you must register the amount you have received under the Travel advance received section.
Note that you do NOT need to list anything here if any of the expenses are prepaid (such as booking of flights or hotels). NTNU receives an invoice for the expenses automatically.
You can scan or take picture of the receipts and download it to the travel claim (pdf og jpg). You should submit your travel expenses account as soon as you have returned from your travels, but at the latest within one month after your travel is over.
- Download every receipt for every separate line, and write the amount for that receipt in the same line. It is diffucult for robot to find a maching receipt with the written amount, if everything skanned together.
- Currency: it should be same currency in the form as on the receipt. Robot doesn`t convert from e.g. EUR to NOK.
- Quality of receipt or handwritten receipt: handwritten receipt is difficult to read for robot. Try to download a receipt in good quality/easy to read.
You can also fill out travel claim on your mobile phone. (in norwegian)
You can download receipts in the section Expenses, by saving the form first. Or you can upload all the receipts at the laste page of travel expenses claim (page 3).
Travel expenses claim for non-employees #
If you are not an employee at NTNU, you will find more information and which form to use at Travel expenses claim for non-employees.