Here's how you apply for a leave of absence
Contact your student adviser if you need to take a leave of absence
- The application deadline can vary, so check the supplementary regulations for studies at NTNU (in Norwegian)
- Application form for leave of absence
Leave is generally granted for one academic year, but it is also possible to apply for leave for a single semester. You must have completed more than 30 credits in your programme of studies to be able to apply for leave without providing a reason.
Your faculty can approve a leave of absence of more than one year if you can document compelling reasons or special needs, such as:
- Parental leave or responsibilities for comprehensive care of a family member
- Military service - Compulsory military service contacts at NTNU (in Norwegian) can help with this
Important information for those on leave
You do not have to pay the semester fee and register for the semester during the period when you are on leave. If you are going to take one or more examinations during this period, you must register for the exam and pay the semester fee within the ordinary deadlines. If you are admitted to several study programmes at NTNU, you must submit one application for each study programme you want a leave from.
Maternity and parental leave
- The Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund's regulations on leave of absence from your studies (in Norwegian)
- Information on parent stipend (in Norwegian) from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund.