Here's how you apply for a leave of absence
Contact your student adviser at your faculty if you need to take a leave of absence
- The application deadline can vary, so check the guidelines for leave from your study programme (links below).
- You can apply for leave of abscence by email or letter. Your student adviser will help you with the application.
- Application for leave of absence for students in Gjøvik.
- Application for leave of absence for students in Ålesund (in Norwegian
Leave is generally granted for one academic year, but it is also possible to apply for leave for a single semester. You must have completed more than 30 credits in your programme of studies to be able to apply for leave without providing a reason.
Your faculty can approve a leave of absence of more than one year if you can document compelling reasons or special needs, such as:
- Parental leave or responsibilities for comprehensive care of a family member
- Military service - Compulsory military service contacts at NTNU (in Norwegian) can help with this
Important information for those on leave
You do not have to pay the semester fee and register for the semester during the period when you are on leave. If you are going to take one or more examinations during this period, you must register for the exam and pay the semester fee within the ordinary deadlines.
Please note that if you do not register for the semester and pay the semester fee, you will lose access to your user account at NTNU, including email, shortly after the deadline for semester registration and payment has expired. You cannot use FEIDE in order to login to Studentweb. You must log in with your personal ID number and PIN to access again.
Maternity and parental leave
- The Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund's regulations on leave of absence from your studies (in Norwegian)
- Information on parent stipend (in Norwegian) from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund.