Here's how you apply for a leave of absence
Contact your student adviser at your faculty if you need to take a leave of absence
- The application deadline can vary, so check the guidelines for leave from your study programme (links below).
- You can apply for leave of abscence by email or letter. Your student adviser will help you with the application.
- Application for leave of absence for students in Gjøvik.
- Application for leave of absence for students in Ålesund (in Norwegian
Leave is generally granted for one academic year, but it is also possible to apply for leave for a single semester. You must have completed more than 30 credits in your programme of studies to be able to apply for leave without providing a reason.
Your faculty can approve a leave of absence of more than one year if you can document compelling reasons or special needs, such as:
- Parental leave or responsibilities for comprehensive care of a family member
- Military service - Compulsory military service contacts at NTNU (in Norwegian) can help with this
Maternity and parental leave
- The Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund's regulations on leave of absence from your studies (in Norwegian)
- Information on parent stipend (in Norwegian) from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund.