Please note: This page is under translation.
Master of science (Sivilingeniør):
- Prerequisites for starting your master's thesis
- Start working on your master's thesis - deadlines for registration and submission
- Responsibility and distribution of roles between student/supervisor/department (pdf, in Norwegian)
- Fill out the standard agreement in DAIM. Give it to your department.
- Formalities: Rules for the master's thesis (pdf, in Norwegian)
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences: Forms and guidelines for the master's thesis at the Faculty of Medicine
Humanities: Master's agreement (Norw.)
Faculty of Teacher and Interpreter Education: Requirements for academic texts at FLT (Norw.)
For all students
- Find a supervisor. Your department is responsible for providing you with a supervisor, but if you would like a specific supervisor – knock on his or her door and ask.
- Set up a meeting with your supervisor, and come to an agreement on how you will be working together.
- Define a research topic in conjunction with your supervisor.
Want to write your master's thesis for a company?
While you write
- Formatting your master's thesis in Microsoft Word (pdf, in English)
- Collecting personal data (in Norwegian)
- Language requirements in master's theses (Graduate Engineer Programmes)
Sources and references:
- Structuring your paper or thesis
- English language resources: Dictionaries, help with grammar, other tools
- Frequently used information sources for various subject areas
- Use of sources
- Evaluate your sources
- Providing references for your research sources
- Reference list/literature list | EndNote | BibTeX
Submitting your thesis
- Sivilingeniør: Submit your master's thesis | Extended deadline
- Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences: Submit your master's thesis
- Humanities and social sciences: Please contact your division to submit your thesis.
Before you hand in your document, check that you have:
- double-checked the due date
- answered the questions that you ask
- completed all your lines of argument and thoughts
- defined academic concepts and explained what you mean by various terms
- corrected all typos and checked your grammar (check NTNU's English language Style Guide for help)
- included all the sources that you have relied on
- written a correctly formatted reference list
- copyright or permission to all pictures, videoes and sound files in your document.
Need help formatting your Master's thesis i Microsoft Word? Use our guide on how to handle and format large documents in Word made by the Oracle Support Services at NTNU.
Printing - cover - logo
Sivilingeniør and students at the Department of Teacher Education submit their thesis in DAIM. The thesis will be printed automatically.
Master's students from other programmes can use the links below:
- Cover template for download
- NTNU logos
- Printing your thesis
- Contact your department for information on how to submit your thesis
Announcements of grades and grading scale
- Deadline for announcements of grades
- Description of grades for master's thesis
- You will find your grade in Student Web
- Your diploma will automatically be sent to you
- Everything you need to know about the exam
If your MA thesis is given an F or Fail, a new thesis or a significantly reworked thesis can be submitted for a second and final evaluation.
Academic writing resourses
Have a look at what others have done before you
Search for old master's thesis in NTNU Open, NTNU's digital archive of scientific publications. Choose "Student theses" and search for your programme of study, area of study, object of study or department.
Good research practises
- Good research practices (Norw.)
- Research ethics checklist (Norw)
- Research on animals, persons, life stories and more (Norw)
Going to miss the deadline?
- Contact your advisor and department as soon as you realize that you will not make your deadline.
- Course for master's students who are having trouble writing their thesis.
- Sivilingeniør: Apply for an extended deadline